Shell and Waitrose announce a two-site trial of a new joint format that will see Little Waitrose convenience branches on existing Shell Petrol forecourts for the first time later this month.
Both sites are being redeveloped now ready for the opening of the 1,600 sq ft shops at Shell Sceptre, on the Dome roundabout in Watford during September 2011 and Shell Bayswater, London shortly afterwards.
Shell will continue to own the sites and Waitrose will take over the operation of each, acting as Shell's agents for the sale of fuels. This will be the first 24/7 operated and managed operation for Waitrose - there will be approximately 30 employees working at each location.
The announcement of this trial coincides with recently launched joint marketing activity between Shell and Waitrose aimed at offering great value for customers. This includes, for example, a Shell discount coupon given to Waitrose customers at supermarket checkouts - save 5p per litre on 25 litres of Shell fuel.
John Bullock Executive Vice President Shell Global Retail Business said: “We are excited about entering into this alliance with Waitrose. We see this as the beginning of a strong relationship between two established brands in the UK market, exploring opportunities to bring both brands together for the benefit of Shell and Waitrose customers."
The new format will offer the existing range of high quality fuels and lubricants and other forecourt services with the addition of a Little Waitrose offering around 2500 lines covering "food for now", "food for later" and store cupboard essentials as well as traditional forecourt and impulse lines.
There will also be a self-serve hot coffee and hot food offer as well as made-in-branch baguettes. The hot food offer will include porridge, soup, hot wraps and hot pastries. There will be a range of pre-packed salads, fruit and vegetables and a gift section offering a small selection of gifts, wrap, cards and gift bags.
Waitrose currently has 23 convenience branches. The Little Waitrose name was first used in January 2011 with the opening of a convenience branch on the Old Brompton Road - the name is now used for all new convenience branches.
Mark Price, Managing Director of Waitrose, said: “Bringing Waitrose to more people in more places is a big priority for us and so I’m very pleased to be embarking on this new pilot with Shell. I think the combination of their offer and Little Waitrose will hold a lot of appeal for customers.”
- ends -
Notes to Editors:
Shell Media Relations UK: +44 207 934 5550
Waitrose: Christine Watts, Communications Director, Waitrose - 07764 676414/ Hannah Chance, Waitrose Press Office, 07506 452 222 firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
Other joint marketing activities
- Waitrose discount coupon included in Shell Drivers’ Club statement at the end of August - £5 off your shopping when you spend over £30 at Waitrose
- Shell Drivers’ Club customers able to spend Shell Gift rewards at Waitrose in August.
Royal Dutch Shell plc
Royal Dutch Shell plc is incorporated in England and Wales, has its headquarters in The Hague and is listed on the London, Amsterdam, and New York stock exchanges. Shell companies have operations in more than 90 countries and territories with businesses including oil and gas exploration and production; production and marketing of liquefied natural gas and gas to liquids; manufacturing, marketing and shipping of oil products and chemicals and renewable energy projects. For further information, visit www.shell.com
Waitrose currently has 23 convenience branches (see below) with opening dates. Ten more are scheduled to open before end of January 2012.
- Trinity Square (Nottingham) 11 December 2008
- Clifton, Bristol 19 March 2009
- Crouch End 08 October 2009
- Oxted 03 December 2009
- Fitzroy Street, Cambridge 17 June 2010
- Cheam 08 July 2010
- Spinningfields, Manchester 04 November 2010
- Hornchurch 18 November 2010
- Walton-on-Thames 18 November 2010
- Leeds, The Core, 25 November 2010
- Amersham 02 December 2010
- Old Brompton Road, Kensington, 27 January 2011
- Palmers Green, Enfield, 27 January 2011
- Enfield Chase 10 March 2011
- Sutton Coldfield 31 March 2011
- Chippenham 14 April 2011
- Cardiff, Queen St, 28 April 2011
- Shrewsbury 12 May 2011
- Knutsford, Cheshire, 09 June 2011
- Wimbledon Hill 20 June 2011
- Tottenham Court Road 07 July 2011
- High Holborn, 04 August 2011
- Alderley Edge, Cheshire 11 August 2011
Waitrose - Waitrose, Britain's favourite supermarket*, has 263 shops in the UK and Channel Islands and is consistently achieving sales growth significantly ahead of the market.**. Four more Waitrose outlets have opened at Welcome Break motorway services this year, taking the total to 16.
The strong performance of Waitrose has been driven by the success of the essential Waitrose range, Brand Price Match, an unmatchable top tier of products and free delivery driving rapid online growth, as well as a long term commitment to sourcing the UK's finest local and regional foods. Waitrose combines the convenience of a supermarket with the expertise and service of a specialist shop - dedicated to offering quality food that has been responsibly sourced combined with high standards of customer service. www.waitrose.com
* Which? Annual Supermarket Satisfaction Survey, Telegraph Magazine Shop Awards - Best for Food & Drink; Good Housekeeping Awards; Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Awards - Most Loved Food Retailer, ** Kantar Worldpanel
You can follow Waitrose on the following social media channels:
For more information contact: